If you're like me, you don't do a lot of web browsing anymore. I subscribe to my favorite blogs' feeds and read them via Google Reader. It's one of my favorite Google products, for a lot of reasons. I can keep up with most of my web activities in one tab, and follow along with my favorite blogs, Flickr photos, and Twitter. I can share instantly with people who follow me, and see what other people have shared with me. I hope that Google+ will integrate well with Google Reader, because it already does so many things well.
Since Google+ is still a bit of a closed system, it's difficult to share items from Google+ to people outside of it. It's also not easy to share Google Reader items to Google+. When you click the "Share" button on Google Reader, it automatically shares to Google Buzz. You can also use the "Send to" button, and send a post to Blogger, Delicious, Facebook, or Twitter, but not Google+.
(Note: I did discover that in the mobile version of Google Reader, you can share to Google+.)
Let's say you want to streamline your Google+ feeds a bit, and take some people out of your circles and follow them on Google Reader instead.
PlusFeed is an unofficial site for Google+ user feeds. Creating a feed is pretty simple. I'll use my own feed as an example:
- Open up your Google+ profile. (Or find the person you want to get a feed of.)
- Click on the profile name: https://plus.google.com/117751549758275478700/posts
- Copy the number after plus.google.com—i.e., 117751549758275478700
- Add it to http://plusfeed.appspot.com/—i.e., http://plusfeed.appspot.com/117751549758275478700.
- Check out your new feed:
6. Use the menu to "Subscribe to this feed using" and select your application of choice.
- All feeds are for public posts only.
- You may have discovered that you can find a person on Google Reader, and it'll return a feed that looks like it's linking to their Google+ profile. In actuality, it's linking to their Google Buzz feed.
- If you choose to follow people on Google Reader instead of Google+, you will miss out on the comment threads.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades