The Google +1 button isn't as ubiquitous as the Facebook Like button, but it's getting there. Google's working hard on improving its functionality, and recently we've seen some innovative features added. The +1 button now appears on over one million sites, and you can do more with it than you could initially.
If you want to take advantage of the latest +1 features, sign up for the Google+ Platform Preview. Just add your Gmail address, and as long as you're logged into your Google account, you'll be able to preview the latest Google+ features. I especially like the ability to share to your circles directly from the +1 button. Just add your own commentary, select your circles, and share.
Google makes it really easy to add the +1 button to your website. Just go to this website, and copy and paste the necessary code. You can play around in their editor to modify the +1 button to your tastes, and preview before you go ahead and add the +1 button to your site.
Publishers can take advantage of another new feature: +Snippets. When you +1 something and share to your circle, you'll see a preview of the site itself, with the link, headline, description, and picture. With +Snippets, you can customize the appearance of the preview. You can also add inline annotations, which shows which friends have +1'd their content.
Although the +1 button is pretty popular, it's not everywhere yet. That's quite inconvenient to those of us who like to collect +1s on our profiles. You can fix that with +1 add-ons or extensions, which let you +1 anything.
Google Chrome Extensions:
- -1 Minus - We've all seen posts and sites that are just awful. This button lets you declare your displeasure. If your friends have the extension installed, you can also see what they disliked.
- Like+1 - Save time and clicking by combining the Facebook Like button with the Google +1 button.
- Plus One (+1) Everywhere - Add a +1 button to any page and you also get to see the total number of +1s on a particular site.
- ReaderPlus+ - Add the +1 button to posts in Google Reader.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades