Last week, we discussed whether Google should require you to use your real name for Google+ profiles. Google is working on eliminating fake profiles, and in the process, they've booted some real people, including actor +William Shatner. If you find out that your Google+ account has been suspended, you can appeal the suspension and get your profile reinstated.
Step 1 Request a Review
During the signup process, you'll be prompted to request a review. You can fill out the appeal form here where you can submit either a Photo ID, or links on the web that help prove your identity.
Step 2 Wait 24 Hours
Assuming the details you submitted in the appeal form passed inspection, you'll regain access to your account.
If, after 24 hours, your account is still suspended, you'll have to appeal to Google again.
Step 3 Request a Second Appeal
From your Google+ profile page, click on the link to the appeal form. Provide Google with more details about why your account should not be suspended. Provide as many details as possible as this may be your last chance to convince them you are a real person.
Step 4 Wait for Google to Contact You
Once the second appeal has been filed, you'll have to wait for Google to contact you directly to deal with the situation.
Step 5 Post in the Gmail Help Forum
If you're still unable to get assistance with reinstating your account, you can try posting for help in the Gmail Help Forum.
Step 6 Contact a Google Community Manager
Check out our list for Google community managers' Google+ profiles. Many of them are very active and responsive to questions. You may need to get a few friends to contact them on your behalf.
Step 7 Be Patient
Many people have been reporting that they've had to wait longer than 24 hours to get their profiles reviewed. Hopefully this is something Google can improve on.
- If your Google+ account has been suspended, it may affect your ability to use the rest of your Google account fully, such as Gmail and Reader. You may get a message that your account has been locked due to "suspicious activity". I highly recommend you read +Fleep Tuque's story of how her account was suspended, and how she was able to get it back.
- While your Google+ profile is suspended, it will not be visible in search.
- Changing your Google+ profile name can trigger a review to ensure that it complies with Google's Community Standards. Google does not require you to use a real name for Google+, but you are asked to use a name that you "commonly go by in daily life".
- Children 13 and under cannot use Google+. Parents are discovering, the hard way, that once a child accepts a Google+ invite and answers the age question truthfully, that their child will be locked out of all their Google Accounts. Currently they are unable to retrieve data from that account, although Google is working on resolving the issue.
Have you had your Google+ profile suspended? Let us know how you were able to get it back.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades